Matter in the universe.
Read Online
Share

Matter in the universe.

  • 154 Want to read
  • ·
  • 77 Currently reading

Published by Open University Press in Milton Keynes .
Written in English

Subjects:

  • Cosmology.

Book details:

Edition Notes

At head of cover title, The Open University.

Other titlesObserving the stars.
Statement(prepared by the course team. Authors William Somerville and Elaine Moore).
SeriesScience : a second level course, S256 -- 4
ContributionsSomerville, William, Moore, Elaine, Open University.
Classifications
LC ClassificationsQB981
The Physical Object
Pagination76p. :
Number of Pages76
ID Numbers
Open LibraryOL18816580M
ISBN 100335161782

Download Matter in the universe.

PDF EPUB FB2 MOBI RTF

Matter and Spirit in the Universe: Scientific and Religious Preludes to Modern Cosmology. Cosmology is an unusual science with an unusual history. This book examines the formative years of modern cosmology from the perspective of its interaction with religious thought/5. If standard gravitational theory is correct, then most of the matter in the universe is in an unidentified form which does not emit enough light to have been detected by current instrumentation. This book is the second editon of the lectures given at the 4th Jerusalem Winter School for Format: Paperback. The nature of these 'dark; ingredients remains a mystery, but they seem to comprise about 95 percent of the matter/energy content of the universe. As for ordinary matter, although we are immersed in a sea of dark particles, including primordial neutrinos and photons from 'fossil' cosmological radiation, both we and our environment are made of ordinary, baryonic by: 2. This book is written as an introduction to these problems at the forefront of astrophysics and particle physics, with the goal of conveying the physics of dark matter to .

  If standard gravitational theory is correct, then most of the matter in the universe is in an unidentified form which does not emit enough light to have been detected by current instrumentation. This book is the second editon of the lectures given at the 4th Jerusalem Winter School for Theoretical Physics, with new material added/5(2). The study of dark matter encompasses three main areas in fundamental physics: astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. As such, it is difficult to cover every aspect of dark matter in a concise book, such as this, and so this book is intended as an introduction for beginning physics majors, or those interested in a short course in dark. About the Author. BRIAN GREENE is a professor of physics and mathematics and director of Columbia University's Center for Theoretical Physics and is renowned for his groundbreaking discoveries in superstring theory. He is the author of The Elegant Universe, The Fabric of the Cosmos, and The Hidden Reality, which have collectively spent sixty-five /5().   In the past few years, a handful of scientists have been in a race to explain a disturbing aspect of our universe: only 4 percent of it consists of the matter that makes up you, me, our books, and every planet, star, and galaxy. The rest—96 percent of the universe—is completely unknown/5.

  Whenever and wherever antimatter and matter meet in the Universe, there’s a fantastic outburst of energy due to particle-antiparticle annihilation. We actually observe this annihilation in some. Authored by an experienced writer and a well-known researcher of stellar evolution, interstellar matter and spectroscopy, this unique treatise on the formation and observation of organic compounds in space includes a spectroscopy refresher, as well as links to geological findings and finishes with the outlook for future astronomical facilities and solar system exploration missions. TO NUCLEAR ASTROPHYSICS The Formation and the Evolution of Matter in the Universe JEAN AUDOUZE lnstitut d'Astrophysique de Paris, France and SYLVIE VA UCLAI R DAPHE, Ohservatoire de Meudon, France and lnstitut d'Astrophysique, Paris D, REIDEL PUBLISHING COMPANY DORDRECHT: HOLLAND/BOSTON: U. S. A. Physics of Cosmic Microwave Background Anisotropies and Primordial Fluctuations / R. Durrer --Cosmic Microwave Background Anisotropy Observations / R. Rebolo --Weak and Strong Lensing Statistics / N. Straumann --Supermassive Black Holes and Galaxy Formation / J. Silk --Galaxy Clusters and Probes for Matter in the Universe / H. Bohringer --The.